- To ensure clean air, clean water, healthy soil and safe food to mankind.
- Ensure effective implementation of Biological Diversity Act 2002 and Rules 2004 for conservation of biodiversity of the State and its sustainable use, fair and equitable sharing of the benefits arising out of the utilisation of bioresources.
- The Kerala State Biodiversity Board was constituted in February 2005 under Environment Department, Government of Kerala in accordance with the provisions of the Biological Diversity Act 2002, and Biological Diversity Rules 2004. The Board has its headquarters at Thiruvananthapuram.
- Advise the State Government subject to any guidelines issued by the Centra[ Government, on matters relating to the conservation of biodiversity, sustainable use of its components and equitable sharing of the benefits arising out of the utilisation of biological resources
- Regulate by granting of approvals or otherwise requests for commercial utilisation or bio-survey and bio-utilisation of any biological resource by Indian nationals
- Provide guidance and technical and financial support to Biodiversity Management Committees (BMCs) for preparing 'People's Biodiversity Registers (PBRs) and decentralised biodiversity management.
- Commission studies and sponsor investigation and research on biodiversity conservation.
- Compile a complete database of biodiversity resources in the State.
- Perform such other functions as may be necessary to carry out the provisions of the Act or as may be prescribed by the State Government.